Tuesday 11 March 2014

Getting back into the swing of things

Yes, I'm sorry it's been a long time, and I'm sorry the post title has a pun in it. So as I've done the worst job of explaining, I'm from Victoria, but school happens in Waterloo for me, and as of about three weeks ago I am back in Victoria until the end of August. Last summer, I thought I had a job waiting for me when I returned, however an email hours before my flight changed that. I was going to have to panic, and I did, which is largely why I ended up with three part time jobs and an insane schedule. Back story complete.

This summer, I thought I would get a full time job for July and August, and I thought there was some part time work waiting at the restaurant I was at last year. Turns out I was wrong about both. So I did the only logical thing to do, and that's panic. This time though, instead of flooding the downtown restaurants with resumes, I tried flooding the landscapers' inboxes with resumes. That worked much better. For the first time in my life I found myself in a position to turn down several good full time jobs. It's really nice not having to worry about getting enough work, and it's sooooo nice having evenings and especially weekends free. I can hang out with friends and do things like ref soccer games and play volleyball! And, of course, swing dance!

Yes, that is the pun in the title I was referring to.

So I can't remember if I said it here in an earlier post or not, but my two left feet an I went swing dancing a couple times last summer. There's an event that happens every Saturday night in Vic. Both times I went I had fun, but I was thinking so hard about the dancing, and footwork, that I was super stiff and awkward and nobody could follow what I was doing. This year, I'll be able to go much more frequently, and even after just once I feel more comfortable, and I'm able to somewhat hold a conversation while dancing. I wouldn't exactly call it second nature yet, but by the end of summer, who knows! Stranger things have happened. I also learned that some very good dancers are very hard to dance with, an some not as good dancers are really easy to dance with. All depends on... Well I don't know, but it depends on something other than dancing ability.

Huh. Never thought I'd ever write a blog post about dancing, but I guess there's a first time for everything. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment