Friday 9 August 2013

Thoughtful Thursday - respect your food

I was talking to my aunt the other day about presentation and food. She insists that everything at the dinner table is in a presentable dish (no ketchup bottles, milk jugs, etc), even when there's no company over. I personally don't care about how my food looks, as long as it tastes good and fills me up without making me sick or fat. Anyhoo, the way she sees it, presentation is a way of showing respect for your food, and the people who put the time in to preparing it. The way I see it, eating and enjoying it shows respect as well. Now, sometimes I agree, it is unacceptable to have milk jugs and ketchup bottles on the table. For example, a date, or a formal dinner party of some sort. However, I believe there can be times when it doesn't matter how the food is presented, as long as it is appreciated. For example, when eating alone, or a big casual BBQ party. So basically I think presentation can be necessary, but it is sometimes acceptable to eat leftover pasta straight out of the bowl container. What do you think? Is it ever acceptable to have a milk jug at the table? Why, or why not? How do you show respect for your food?

1 comment:

  1. Food doesn't respect you so why respect food? They say your body is a temple, so shouldn't your food should be bowing with respect before it steps in, and not the other way around. Bulls don't respect the grass they eat, so there is no need to be polite when the cow find itself on the menu. What better way to enjoy pork than to eat like a pig? So put that milk jug on the table, and then pick it up and drink straight from it. That's the taste of freedom!

    ReplyDelete